Contact Me

Monday, January 12, 2009

The story on the UNRWA school

Here’s Israel’s excuse for firing on a school, a designated shelter for which it had the coordinates:
IDF shell kills 30 in Gaza UN school; Israel mulls appeal over Hamas fire from UN facilities
http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/1053233.html

"Initial checks ... show that from inside the school mortars were fired at Israeli forces," an IDF spokesman said. "In response, the forces fired a number of mortar rounds into the area."


The UN follow up:
http://www.un.org/unrwa/news/statements/gaza_crisis/chris_gaza_crisis.html
8th Jan 2009

"I have been authorised to say that in private briefings with diplomats, the Israeli army has admitted that the rockets from Jabalya (two days ago) came from outside the UNRWA school compound, not from inside it. Therefore the allegations against a neutral UN human development organization were entirely baseless. This increases pressure for an independent investigation. "


An article about the IDF “mistake” :
UN: IDF officers admitted there was no gunfire from Gaza school which was shelled
http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/1054009.html


A wonderful Forbes article no doubt with the sole sources being the IDF statement and an active imagination:

Gaza Bedfellows UNRWA And Hamas

http://www.forbes.com/opinions/2009/01/07/gaza-hamas-unrwa-oped-cx_cr_0108rosett.html

I don’t know the percentages, but this article is partly oversimplification and part outright fabrication. I never really read Forbes, but I thought it was a financial publication devoid of political motivations, but I guess I’m totally wrong. I might as well have been reading a Zionist Israeli publication. I wondered when someone posted some links to my Facebook profile- ynetnews, haaretz, jpost, forbes, why Forbes would be included in the pro-Israel roundup. Now I know. I am curious as to why there is a political agenda or bias, but I’ll leave that to others to ponder. Maybe it’s already been done.

Pro-Israel bias is fine, it's opinion, but at the expense of facts? When we find out it's a pack of lies, it kinda hurts your case...

No comments:

Post a Comment