Contact Me

Thursday, August 12, 2010

The Best Hammock Quote Ever


This is the longest and best description of the hammock experience I've seen. If you haven't lounged in a hammock, you should. I lost the clipping of the quote and tried for awhile to look it up online even though I couldn't remember much about it but 1 or 2 phrases in the whole thing. Came up with a whole lot of nothing. The other day, I found it while looking for a picture of me when I was little that my daughter was asking about (a picture of me with Zippy, a slightly scary, dated, stuffed monkey which I still have and showed the kids. Think Planet of the Apes).

July 1997 is written on the back and I know it's from a
Reader's Digest. I don't know if July 1997 is a guess or the actual issue, though. Seems like when I wrote it, I'd had it for a little while.

Enjoy:

A hammock is the best place to spend a midsummer afternoon. When you climb into a hammock, you are linked to reality only by the narrowest of cords. Suspended in time and space, you shed any sense of weight or corporal substance. As you sway with the gentle rhythm of the breeze, you drift and dream between heaven and Earth, glimpsing the blue truth of sky beyond the wagging treetops.

Then suddenly the spell is broken by a dog's snout poking you, a rumble of thunder or a child's cry, and you are brought back to a world you temporarily left behind. But the hammock's solace is not forgotten. Its gentle crescent lingers.

--Robert S. Kyff in Hartford, CT, Courant


No comments:

Post a Comment