Contact Me

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Iced coffee- not just talk anymore


So, I finally got around to making iced coffee.  (And a week and a half later, I got around to posting it!) It wasn't that big of a deal. I don't know why I thought it would be. I guess some of those sites take a picture of each step- i.e.- this is me measuring the coffee, these are the grounds in the container, this is me filling the water, etc.- make it seem really involved because there are a thousand pictures.

Anyway, I did it and it was awesome!

Here's my post about talking about doing it:


I talk about course grind coffee in the post, but some of the links don't specify. I don't know where I got that. I used "random grind". We went to the store and tried to grind coffee for Turkish coffee with cardamom, but it ended up very uneven and decidedly not fine. More like normal to coarse with random beans and chunks thrown in. It was Java Time in case you're wondering the brand. Sometimes I think my husband is testing me to see at what point I will just throw out the bag of random coffee he brings... It wasn't the worst I've had and it was a dark roast, so that was a plus.


Here's what I did:

  • Added 1 cup of grinds in a 32oz mason jar and filled it with water like the instructions say, leaving an inch at the top. Shook it to wet all the grinds. 
  • Steeped for more than 12 hours. Some people say 8 hours is fine; 12 or more will make it bitter. I'll have to try the 8 hours version. 
  • 12 cup coffee filter over a strainer over a bowl, poured half the liquid and waited 0.5 hours. Changed filter, poured rest and waited 0.5- 0.75 hour. Refrigerate. 
  • I used about 4 oz coffee concentrate, 2-3 oz milk, a few tablespoons of half and half, and 2 tablespoons of sweet condensed milk. I didn't try the simple syrup method, but hope to soon. I don't think I'll bother with dissolving sugar or sweetener in cold coffee, given my many unsuccessful attempts at sweetening cold tea up north...for you northerners, the secret is 1.5 cups sugar per gallon boiled with your water (8 teabags)!! Pointing at the Sweet and Low makes me want to point you back to elementary science class. Ok, not really, but restaurants do have the capability to heat water, I'd think.


***

In scanning some recipes and trying to see if the concentrates were the same strength, I ran into the dry measure problem. Not a big deal, but kind of interesting.

My thinking was 2 c = 1lb...

From a cookbook, before I remembered you can find anything online:
For wheat flour, 3.5c = 1lb
For granulated sugar, 2c = 1lb
For cocoa, 4c= 1lb

Online:
One guy measured 5.4 cups in 1 lb Folgers.
Another site said 4.75c = 1lb coarse grind and 5c = 1lb for fine.

Anyway, take that for what it's worth. Or measure your own. And post it online.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment