A recent scam...
This one actually grabbed me for a minute because I knew a family member was on a cruise, but I quickly regained my senses.....
I'm writing this with tears in my eyes,my family and I came down here to Philippines for a short vacation and unfortunately we got mugged at the park of the hotel where we stayed,all cash,credit card and cell were stolen off us but luckily for us we still have our passports with us.
We've been to the embassy and the Police here but they're not helping issues at all and our flight leaves in few hours from now but we're having problems settling the hotel bills and the hotel manager won't let us leave until we settle the bills,
I'm freaked out at the moment and i need your help.
Things that didn't add up...
- Hello is used, not a more casual greeting, and there is no use of family names of any kind.
- Grammatical errors- could be attributed to being freaked out, but the quantity and types raise a red flag.
- The username is that of a family member, but the provider after "@" was not the right one.
- The IP address, 184.108.40.206, points to (sent from) Nigeria.
- Another oddity being the sending of a distress email, when you could call from the embassy or hotel any number of people, one of which would probably be home so that you wouldn't have to send an email...
Google search for the text of the email:
IP address lookup: