Contact Me

Friday, February 17, 2017

SCROTUS disrespect for Black History Month





Black History Month remarks


He starts out by calling the event a “little breakfast.” What does THAT mean?

Then talks about incredible sacrifice and him being introduced to "places he wasn't familiar with" in relation to Black History. . .so is he on another unrelated tangent or is he saying he went where black people lived (as though they live in one place and they're really hard to find?!?!) and he doesn't usually do that?

He goes on to spend a bit of time saying the media said he removed a bust of MLK Jr, but it wasn't true, how dare the fake media report fake news. Again on that old false theme.

“Last month, we celebrated the life of Reverend Martin Luther King, Jr., whose incredible example is unique in American history. You read all about Dr. Martin Luther King a week ago when somebody said I took the statue out of my office. “

Here's the only thing he really has to say about black history:

“I am very proud now that we have a museum on the National Mall where people can learn about Reverend King, so many other things. Frederick Douglass is an example of somebody who’s done an amazing job and is being recognized more and more, I noticed. Harriet Tubman, Rosa Parks, and millions more black Americans who made America what it is today. Big impact. “

Does he know Fredrick Douglass is dead? Twitter blew up over that.


After that informative appreciation of the history of an oppressed people where institutional racism still exists, he goes on to thank supporters at the table, Darrell especially. ??? And of course calls CNN fake news again. And thanks Fox, wherever they are, for “treating him nice.”

He switches to campaign mode in talking about better schools, wages, inner city and how he's going to solve all of this with law enforcement, which I'm sure made everyone cringe through those tight, forced, plastered on smiles.

And ending on a confusing note:

“I’m ready to do my part, and I will say this: We’re gonna work together. This is a great group, this is a group that’s been so special to me. You really helped me a lot. If you remember I wasn’t going to do well with the African-American community, and after they heard me speaking and talking about the inner city and lots of other things, we ended up getting—and I won’t go into details—but we ended up getting substantially more than other candidates who had run in the past years. And now we’re gonna take that to new levels. I want to thank my television star over here—Omarosa’s actually a very nice person, nobody knows that. I don’t want to destroy her reputation but she’s a very good person, and she’s been helpful right from the beginning of the campaign, and I appreciate it. I really do. Very special.
So I want to thank everybody for being here.”

His first sentence in the last paragraph sounds like the person helping him was trying to point him in the right direction- here's where you talk about working together despite differences. . . then it goes off the rails. He's going to fix black people's problems by doing more law enforcement in inner cities??? I'm not watching this, but I imagined a collective cringe from everyone, even the most supportive supporter invited. He assumes all black people exist in the inner city and more law enforcement, not racial justice and work on discrimination and police violence and trust is the way to fix everything? And he ends with defending Omarosa, his Apprentice minion, who appeared on the PBS Choice 2016 documentary defending the indefensible- him.



I Have a Dream Speech


Interview with John Lewis


Lewis is 'all talk, no action' says Trump- Daily Show


Trump Attacks Civil Rights Hero Lewis As 'All Talk' After He Questions His Legitimacy



He could have gone with any number of ways with his address- science, art, civil rights or bridging the divide, but he chose "the media lied" and "remember that time I won the electoral college bigly?" 

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/forgotten-black-women-mathematicians-who-helped-win-wars-and-send-astronauts-space-180960393/

Trailer for 'I Am Not Your Negro'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNUYdgIyaPM

http://www.simonandschuster.com/books/The-Blood-of-Emmett-Till/Timothy-B-Tyson/9781476714844



No comments:

Post a Comment