transgender people and athletics and the ADF scare tactics
---
I think I'll try and put most of my thoughts here. I'm feeling hermit-y again. Facebook is increasingly not a place I want to microblog or do much else besides connect in groups or post funny crochet things.
I get that white guys think communicating with (read: shouting down/mansplaining) people with differing views is open minded, but I spend my life swimming upstream and being uncomfortable and need the respite of groups with similar interests who don't get offended by equality.
---
I saw this link below come up on my timeline - and just to warn you - it's going to be biased and hateful because that's the Alliance Defending Freedom's brand - so I looked for more info and interestingly, the targeted individuals are black. (See the Boston.com link here) Hmmm.
A few links on that bit:
-- https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2810857-andraya-yearwood-knows-she-has-the-right-to-compete.amp.html
-- https://rewire.news/article/2019/04/05/the-crisis-of-violence-against-transgender-people-is-not-a-myth/
-- https://www.hrc.org/resources/understanding-the-transgender-community
---
---
I saw this link below come up on my timeline - and just to warn you - it's going to be biased and hateful because that's the Alliance Defending Freedom's brand - so I looked for more info and interestingly, the targeted individuals are black. (See the Boston.com link here) Hmmm.
A few links on that bit:
-- https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2810857-andraya-yearwood-knows-she-has-the-right-to-compete.amp.html
-- https://rewire.news/article/2019/04/05/the-crisis-of-violence-against-transgender-people-is-not-a-myth/
-- https://www.hrc.org/resources/understanding-the-transgender-community
---
In quotes is the FB post and link that popped up on my feed this morning.
"I'm not posting this to get into the whole gender issue (if you comment on that, try to argue about that, I will remove it. Take that to your own wall). I'm posting this because these young ladies, and others like them, are being robbed of what they have worked so hard to earn."
https://www.adflegal.org/detailspages/blog-details/allianceedge/2019/09/09/make-your-voice-heard-men-don-t-belong-in-women-s-sports
"I'm not posting this to get into the whole gender issue (if you comment on that, try to argue about that, I will remove it. Take that to your own wall). I'm posting this because these young ladies, and others like them, are being robbed of what they have worked so hard to earn."
https://www.adflegal.org/detailspages/blog-details/allianceedge/2019/09/09/make-your-voice-heard-men-don-t-belong-in-women-s-sports
---
The poster only wanted to talk about the sports - all transgender discussion would be deleted, but I don't understand that since the crux is fearmongering on the right and complete lack of knowledge of that entire point of view, probably intentionally. So discussion of transgender issues would be exactly what's needed.
The link is directly encouraging hate and discrimination, so discouraging discussion is asking us to accept the indoctrination and propaganda without talking about it while posting on a public discussion oriented platform. Though I get not wanting a bunch of arguing on your own page.
Here was my polite appeal to the religious crowd before I deleted it:
I would just encourage people to find info outside of this organization, which very definitely is pushing discrimination if you look at the action items (and its activism in general). There's already a court case. This will get sorted out. It needs no action.
Here was my polite appeal to the religious crowd before I deleted it:
I would just encourage people to find info outside of this organization, which very definitely is pushing discrimination if you look at the action items (and its activism in general). There's already a court case. This will get sorted out. It needs no action.
This was a thoughtful Twitter thread (indy link below) more based on evidence about trans athletes.... (#7 kind of explains what this organization is doing)...
The way I learn and connect with things is through books, so maybe read books by trans authors? I would just urge a bit of understanding or curiosity even though it makes us uncomfortable theologically before acting like this org here.
https://www.indy100.com/article/trans-athletes-lgbt-twitter-thread-brynn-tannehill-8808621
The way I learn and connect with things is through books, so maybe read books by trans authors? I would just urge a bit of understanding or curiosity even though it makes us uncomfortable theologically before acting like this org here.
https://www.indy100.com/article/trans-athletes-lgbt-twitter-thread-brynn-tannehill-8808621
---
I wonder if this issue and "concern for fairness" can be the gateway into thinking about how we might be too competitive or how sports shouldn't matter that much or how we should focus on education more actually.
---
I wonder if this issue and "concern for fairness" can be the gateway into thinking about how we might be too competitive or how sports shouldn't matter that much or how we should focus on education more actually.
---
Further searching and information:
Interesting find here. A documentary at the Tribecca Film Festival featuring one of the girls from Connecticut... Could be a source of the backlash. I don't know if I'm interested in what came first. I just don't think we should discriminate and be obsessed with people's genitals at birth or whatever it is Christians say.
I haven't read these, but I'd start here maybe- books by non-binary authors:
No comments:
Post a Comment